We had a demo of DaVinci Resolve at our meeting on the 13th of May. Robert gave his initial impressions of the powerful Mac video editing application. We also talked about the Apple news and members shared some suggestions.
Robert concentrated on the editing mode in his presentation. He showed importing media, assembling clips on the time line and adding transitions, effects and titles. He also demonstrated how the keyframe feature can be used to change and animate effects over time.
While the free version of Resolve is very powerful it is missing some effects and features. Beginners Approach have a useful list of the effects available for free.
For those interested in learning more, the developer has tutorials on their website. Robert also mentioned Casey Faris on YouTube who has lots of DaVinci Resolve videos including a series summarising Resolve features in 5 minutes each.
We discussed recent Apple news including:
- The Apple World Wide Developer Conference Keynote to be held on Monday the 6th June.
- The discontinuation of the iPod Touch which marks the end of the iPod branded device.
- Jony Ive revealing some of his favourite tools.
- Interesting quotes from Tony Fadell about Apple’s culture and innovation.
- DaveK mentioned Fotorama a customisable photo gallery that can be added to a website.
- DaveK also talked about TalkTalk’s Future Fibre broadband service.
- DavidB mentioned the recent story of an airliner take-off that was aborted when passengers were sent plane crash pictures via AirDrop. This highlights the importance of setting AirDrop to “Contacts Only” if you don’t want strangers near by to be able to send to you.