At this meeting, held on 18th March, we talked about Apple’s recent “Peek Performance” event where the Apple Studio, Studio Display, new iPhone SE and iPad air were revealed. Robert demonstrated a method of smoothing video and members shared some suggestions and tips.
We discussed the new products introduced by Apple at their Peek Performance event held on the 8th of March:
- Mac Studio
- Studio Display
- iPhone SE
- iPad Air
- New green colours for iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro
Robert talked about smoothing video by increasing the frame rate and demonstrated software from the Smooth Video Project. He noted that this software requires a fairly complex installation including adding several homebrew components which isn’t for the faint of heart!
We saw how the software smooths the video by increasing the frame rate, particularly obvious when the video is slowed down. However, the process can introduce artefacts and blurring depending on the source material.
Ben mentioned the app 8mm which can make video shot on modern devices look more film like.
- Ben showed us the Padintosh, a classic Mac inspired iPad 2 cover.
- Elliott had found that you can refresh the available updates in the Account section of the App Store on iPhone and iPad by dragging the page down. DaveK noted that options are available to control App Store update behaviour in the App Store section of Settings.
- DaveK also mentioned that you can hold the Back button in a hierarchical iOS app to get a list of the previous pages and skip to a certain one. Swiping in from the left of the screen will also take you back to the previous page (the same as tapping the Back button).
- DavidB recommended Your Body Uncovered available on iPlayer, especially for the use of augmented reality.