With the dust settling from WWDC, at our 25th June meeting we discussed some of the smaller (but still handy) features coming in macOS Monterey and iOS/iPadOS 15.
macOS Monterey and iOS/iPadOS 15
Robert covered some of the smaller new features of the new Apple operating systems revealed at WWDC. These included:
- A dedicated passwords pane in System Preferences and built-in verification code generator.
- A new Shared item in the Finder sidebar showing all items shared via iCloud Drive.
- The option to erase all content and settings from a Mac without reinstalling the OS.
- Using AirPlay to extend your Mac desktop to another Mac’s screen wirelessly.
- Windows automatically resize when moved between different sized displays.
- Developers can add the option to request refunds within their app.
- iPhone apps can be used in landscape mode on iPad.
- Drag and Drop support on iPhone.
- In games, save the last 15 seconds of gameplay as a clip to share.
- FaceTime improvements including a warning if you talk while muted.
We discussed some recent Apple-related news:
- iFixit have published an interesting teardown of the M1 iMac.
- Apple launches a Creative Studios initiative as part of Today at Apple.
- Government emergency alerts broadcast to mobile phones are being trialed in the UK.
- The Apple TV+ trial included with new Apple devices is being reduced from 1 year to 3 months.
- Apple is making a standardised, customiseable on-screen game controller available to developers.
- Some WD My Book Live drives are being remotely wiped, this article has advice if you have this model of hard drive (mentioned by DaveK).
- Liz recommended the Brother HL-L3230CDW colour laser printer.
- Denesh mentioned a product recall of Philips CPAP machines and similar devices. The linked page has advice for users.
- Denesh recommended Unorthodox on Netflix.
- DavidB suggested Trying and the upcoming Coda on AppleTV+.
- David also recommended checking out the impressive restoration of the Tower Theatre Apple Store in Los Angeles.