At our meeting held on the 28th May we discussed backing up your Mac, concentrating on how common backup options fit in with iCloud and other cloud file storage/sharing services. Members also contributed a range of tips and suggestions.
Robert talked about Mac backup options and how they compliment iCloud and other cloud file storage and synchronisation services. He covered:
- Time Machine
- Drive Cloning with apps such as Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper.
- Cloud Backup services
Apple have a page on Mac backup that summarises the options available.
In macOS Big Sur Apple added support for Time Machine on the newer APFS disk format. Mac World have an article discussing this option. DavidK mentioned that APFS is likely to be more space efficient for backups and this article from The Eclectic Light Company indicates that is indeed the case.
Robert noted that many Mac apps give the option to restore earlier versions of documents.
- DavidB recommended Trying on Apple TV+
- Liz suggested a stand for Bose SoundTouch 10 speakers.
- DavidK mentioned this article about opting out from NHS GP data sharing.
- Rapid lateral flow COVID-19 tests were discussed, these are readily available free for order online and locally from many locations. The gov.uk website has search and ordering options.