Apple’s Watch and iPad announcements at their recent “Time Flies” event were the main topic of discussion at this meeting held on Friday 18th September. Members also talked about their early experiences with iOS 14.
We discussed the key topics from Apple’s recent event:
- Apple Watch Series 6 with Blood Oxygen monitoring.
- Apple Watch SE a lower cost version with the same design but fewer features.
- New watch faces including GMT, Tachymeter and stripes.
- Solo Loop style straps.
- The new Family Setup option.
- USB power adaptors no longer being supplied with Apple Watches.
- New iPad air with a larger 10.9inch screen and faster A14 chip.
- New 8th generation iPad with a faster A12 chip.
- The new Fitness+ workout service.
- Apple One which bundles together Apple’s subscription services for a discounted price.
With the release of iOS 14, members discussed their early experiences with the new OS, particularly the Home Screen changes and App Library:
- John pointed out that you can hide Home Screen pages by entering jiggle mode, tapping the page dots above the dock and then unticking any pages not required.
- DavidB said he used the upgrade as an opportunity to review and delete apps he hadn’t used for a while. He mentioned that you can get an alphabetical list of apps by swiping down on the App Library screen. Mac Rumors have an article on using the App Library.
- DavidB mentioned the Live Listen feature which allows your iPhone to act like a microphone for your AirPods.
- David also noticed the new orange dot indicator that appears in the iOS 14 status bar. This is a privacy feature and indicates when an app is accessing the microphone. There is a similar green dot which indicates a camera is in use.