We held an online meeting via Group FaceTime on Friday 17th April. At the meeting DaveK showed us his new iOS app Crowd Control, we talked about the recent Apple news including the new iPhone SE and caught up with how other members are doing.
DaveK talked about and demonstrated Crowd Control, the new iOS app he’s been working on for the last few weeks. Crowd Control is a tally counter specifically designed to keep track of the number people inside a building by counting each person who enters or leaves. Dave will be making the app available for free and hopes it is of use to key workers during the COVID-19 crisis.
Dave talked about some of his thinking behind the design of the app and the particular features he chose to include. The app is currently available for public beta testing via TestFlight from the Crowd Control page on his website.
You can also follow Dave on Twitter for updates.
We discussed the Apple news since the last meeting:
- Apple’s introduces the new iPhone SE.
- Logitech trackpad keyboards for older iPad Pro and iPad Air models.
- Apple’s Mobility Trend reports for global cities.
- Apple and Google are working on a COVID-19 contact tracing system, their technology will likely be used in an NHS app in the UK. Denesh pointed out these articles from the Open Rights Group discussing COVID-19 and personal data and the privacy implications of contact tracing. DaveK suggested an article by NSHipster which talks more about the technical implementation of Apple and Google’s solution.
- Apple makes a significant amount of their TV+ content available for free without a subscription. Free shows mentioned at the meeting include “For all Mankind” and “Ghostwriter”.
- Today at Apple - At Home, a series of online videos from Apple demonstrating creative projects you can do at home.