There was lots of discussion about the recently released macOS Catalina at our November meeting (held on Friday the 8th)
We talked about macOS 10.15 Catalina which was released in October and Robert demonstrated some of the new features and changes:
- Music, TV and Podcasts apps replacing iTunes.
- iPhone, iPad and iPod syncing is accessed from Finder.
- Screen Time with Downtime and App limits now available on the Mac.
- Improvements to the Photos app.
- New Apple ID section in preferences which incorporates iCloud settings.
- 32bit apps are no longer supported. If you want to check for 32bit apps still on your computer after upgrading Robert recommended Go64 which is a free download (with an optional donation to support the developers).
- Full screen options available by hovering over the green window control button.
- Gallery view and improvements to checklists in the Notes app.
- Various security enhancements.
Apple have a detailed list of the new features in Catalina on their site.
After installing Catalina DavidB reported that he was getting an error when Time Machine tried to backup stating “Two of the disks to back up have the same name.”. We found an Apple Support Communities thread discussing this problem and were able to help David identify the volumes with the same name and advised him to try renaming the smaller of them using Disk Utility.
We talked about the Apple news from the past month:
- AirPods Pro available now.
- Apple’s updated privacy web site for iOS 13 and macOS Catalina.
- iOS 13 update may resolve the multitasking issues some users have been experiencing (iOS 13.2.2 with this fix has been released).
- PhotoShop for iPad.
- GameClub app reviving “classic” mobile games for a monthly fee.