The March meeting was held on Friday the 9th. At this meeting members shared a number of tips and smaller demonstrations including Spotlight and macOS dictation.
Searching for Files using Spotlight
Robert demonstrated some useful tips for locating hard-to-find files on your Mac using Spotlight. Some of the tips he mentioned were:
- View the location of a selected file in the Spotlight results by holding the Command key.
- Drag items from the Spotlight results to copy them.
- Use “Show all in Finder” at the bottom of the results list to see more results and get more searching options.
- In the Finder, use filters to home in on the files you want.
- Find additional search attributes to filter on by selecting the “Other…” option.
DavidB has made a new tips video on macOS Dictation which we watched and discussed at the meeting.
Organising with Notes
DaveK briefly recapped his demonstration of using the Apple Notes app for organisation from the August meeting for members who weren’t able to attend. A few notes on this are available in the August meeting report.
We also discussed some of the month’s Apple news stories:
- Home Pods leaving rings on some waxed/oiled furniture and Apple’s response.
- Apple’s new guide on avoiding App Store and iTunes phishing e-mails.
- The recently updated and very detailed iOS Security Guide. Note that this is interesting but goes into a lot of technical detail.
- Android P embracing the notch!