At the September SEAL meeting, held on Friday the 11th, we talked about the announcements from Apple’s “Hey Siri” event including the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, the iPad Pro and new Apple TV. DaveK then kicked off a new series of presentations on “How I Use My Mac” by talking about how he plans pub crawls.
Our news discussion focused on Apple’s media event held on Wednesday the 9th of September. At this event the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus were announced, members were particularly interested in trying the new 3D Touch technology. Next up was the new larger iPad Pro along with the Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil accessories. Finally we talked about the new Apple TV focusing on the powerful and intelligent features Siri brings to the device and also its possibilities as a gaming platform.
How I Use My Mac: Pub Crawl Planning
DavidK showed us how he uses his Mac and other Apple devices to help him plan monthly pub crawls in different areas (including many he’s never visited before). His presentation included many tips and suggestions that would be useful for planning any journey or event. These included:
- Using Google Maps Street View to scout an area.
- Creating a custom map with location markers and routes in Google Maps (using the My Maps feature).
- Printing materials (such as maps and transport information) to PDF files that can then be transferred to an iOS device for reference.
- Using the iOS app Air Sharing to copy files to an iOS device so they are available even in areas with no data connection (or if you don’t have a data plan).
- Using Automator to automatically populate the Reminders app with reminders and check list items for the event.