At the November meeting we explored the new features of Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks (a free upgrade available now from the Mac App Store for everyone with Mac OS X 10.6 or later and compatible hardware) and helped members decide whether they should upgrade. Some of the features demonstrated were:
- Tabs in the Finder making it easy to switch between folders and allowing the Finder to be used effectively in full-screen mode.
- Tags, a new way of organising files in the Finder which also extends to files stored in iCloud.
- Enhanced dictation which enables long-form dictation and doesn’t require an Internet connection.
Improved support for multiple displays allowing multiple full-screen applications to be displayed and the menu bar and dock to appear on any display.
The meeting also included a discussion of the month’s Apple news including:
- Apple offering iLife and iWork free with new Macs and iOS devices and free updates to current owners of eligible earlier versions.
- We highlighted to members that hard drive maker WD have warned that some of the utilities included with their external drives can cause data loss on Mavericks.