At our 23rd July meeting DaveK showed us apps from Essex Libraries that offer free loans of ebooks, audio books and magazines. He also gave us an update on his app and some other suggestions.
DaveK gave us an update on the app he’s developing. The Zenopolis website has information about Dave’s current apps.
Dave then showed us the various digital services available from Essex Libraries which allow library members to borrow eBooks, audio books, magazines, comics and newspapers for free and view them on an iPhone or iPad. The service uses these apps:
- Borrow Box - for eBooks and audio books
- Libby - for magazines and comics
- PressReader - for newspapers
Essex Libraries has a page on their E-Library services with all the details of how to sign up. If you’re an Essex resident and not a library member you can join online and get a temporary membership to use the services even if you can’t visit a library.
Dave also demonstrated:
- Laundry lens - an app that recognises and explains the laundry symbols printed on clothes and other washable items.
- Watchdocumentaries.com - a web site where you can stream documentaries for free.
- Liz pointed out that the London Mac User Group are holding a photo walk on Saturday 31st July.
- During the library discussion, Denesh recommended some books: Babel: around the world in 20 languagesby Gaston Dorren, Empireland by Sathnam Sanghera and Inferior by Angela Saini.
- Denesh showed us the very neat Wera Kompakt screwdriver with retractable shaft and multiple bits stored in the handle.
- Revolution of our times a film about the Hong Kong democracy movement directed by Kiwi Chow and recently shown at the Cannes film festival was mentioned.